20 Dec Embrace Your Own Self
In a world heavily influenced by social media, understanding and maintaining your self-worth is more important than ever. Merryl Tengesdal, in her book “Shatter the Sky,” offers a profound perspective on this. Her experiences underscore the importance of self-awareness and the strength it takes to maintain self-esteem amidst external judgments and opinions.
Why it Matters
Your self-worth is a critical component of your identity and happiness. It’s about recognizing that you are valuable and deserving, regardless of others’ opinions or societal expectations. Tengesdal’s journey teaches us that our self-worth should be a reflection of our true selves, not shaped by external perceptions.
How do you measure up?
- Do you maintain your self-worth even when faced with external criticism or judgment?
- Are you actively working on understanding and accepting yourself, irrespective of societal labels?
- How often do you engage in activities like journaling or self-reflection to reinforce your sense of self-worth?
How to Navigate it in 3 Enlightening Steps
- Embrace Self-Awareness: Start by understanding and accepting who you are. Recognize your strengths, weaknesses, and unique qualities. This self-awareness is the foundation of your self-worth.
- Challenge External Opinions: Actively challenge the labels and expectations placed on you by society. Remember Tengesdal’s mantra: “If you know yourself well, don’t let other people’s opinions change how you feel about you.” Stand firm in your self-knowledge.
- Foster Self-Acceptance: Engage in practices that promote self-acceptance. Whether it’s through journaling, quiet walks, or meditation, find ways to connect with and affirm your true self. This process helps build resilience against external pressures and judgments.